Welcome to the last day of Fiscal Year 2017, and the soon to begin Fiscal Year 2018! I wanted to reflect on this past year for Asian Staff Forum and highlight we are looking for new volunteers to join our Board for FY18.
Looking back at FY17, all I can say is “wow.” We have over 1000 members on our mailing list! Thanks to our enthusiastic Board and to you, we hosted 18 events – an amazing number. Some of our event highlights include:
- In the month of July alone, we hosted three events.
- In response to your feedback on our annual survey, we launched “My Stanford Story” which focused on the careers of Asian American staff around the university, their journey and advice in navigating your careers.
- Fall quarter, we hosted a Public Speaking workshop and in depth public speaking skills refinement series.
- We took a tour of the new Sapp Center for Teaching and Learning and was led through the student curated “Chinese American at Stanford” exhibit in the Archaeology Center.
- We expanded our social events, adding in two happy hours, in addition to our two annual pot lucks and Lunar New Year Tea.
- For API Heritage Month, ASF was proud to host Rona Hu, Clinical Associate Professor in Psychiatry and founder of Stanford CHIPAO, sharing how the group helps families communicate effectively about difficult topics and ultimately improve the well being of families.
- We ended the year hosting a conversation with Provost Persis Drell, answering your questions and addressing your concerns about being a staff employee at Stanford.
Our goal in FY18 will be to continue providing ASF members events and opportunities to socialize, network, learn and grow. Stanford is more than just a place to work – it is a community of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and knowledge – and ASF is proud to be one of the eight staff groups to help staff come together and learn from each other. We have already started planning and we always welcome your suggestions for events – campus facility tours, networking ideas, social events, anything – to grow the community we have fostered.
I want to take a moment to thank our FY17 Board Members and their efforts this past year. ASF is a volunteer run organization with limited funding, and the Board has done an amazing job organizing, executing and engaging our member base. I also want to take a moment to thank May-Ling Gonzales (Associate Chair) and Katie Oey (Secretary) who are stepping back from their roles for their service and dedication.
Several board members will return in FY18, but we are always looking for new voices to join our leadership. This year, we are opening consultant positions – if you have a specific skillset and would like to help ASF on an ad hoc basis, please consider these positions. For more information, please review our call for nominations on our website, review our open positions, and fill out the application. Please apply by Friday, September 8, 2017.
Here’s to an amazing FY18. Thank you again for being a part of ASF.
- Cindy Cho
Chair, Asian Staff Forum